Welcome to the
Kaweah Basin Water Quality Association

The Kaweah Basin Water Quality Association (KBWQA) is a non-profit organization, established to serve as the coordinator and third-party group under the Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program (ILRP) in the Kaweah Basin watershed portion of Tulare County.

News & Important Dates

2020 Grower Education Meetings Scheduled for January 8 and January 14 - The KBWQA will hold three grower education meetings: two on Wednesday, January 8, and one on Tuesday, January 14, 2020. Each of the three scheduled grower education meetings will be identical, so you will only need to attend one session. Attendance at one of these sessions will fulfill your annual grower education requirement. Agenda topics will include instructions on completing the required 2019 crop year Nitrogen Management Plan Summary Report, and the 2020 crop year Irrigation & Nitrogen Management Plan worksheet; utilizing the online grower database (ILRP Farm); and review of 2018 crop year Nitrogen Analysis Reports (NARs).

  • Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 10 a.m. at the Exeter Memorial Building (324 N. Kaweah Ave in Exeter)
  • Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 2 p.m. at the Exeter Memorial Building (324 N. Kaweah Ave in Exeter)
  • Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10 a.m. at the SCE Energy Education Center (4175 South Laspina Street in Tulare)

Nitrogen Management Plan Self-Certification Continuing Education - For growers who have already passed the Nitrogen Management Plan (NMP) Self-Certification test, continuing education credit is required for re-certification at the end of your three-year certification period. The KBWQA will be developing a separate NMP continuing education course, which will likely be held this summer or fall. Other opportunities for continuing education are also posted on the CURES website.

Nitrogen Management Plan Self-Certification Training - If you wish to self-certify your Nitrogen Management Plan (NMP) and have not yet obtained your certification, you must attend a NMP Self-Certification Training and pass the associated test. The KBWQA, along with the Tule Basin Water Quality Coalition, generally hosts self-certification trainings a couple of times of year. If you are unable to attend a KBWQA-hosted training, a list of other approved NMP Self-Certification trainings scheduled in surrounding counties is available here: CURES Grower Trainings

Sediment & Erosion Control Plan Grower Self-Certification Training - The KBWQA does not have any additional self-certification trainings scheduled at this time, however, you may attend a training hosted by another coalition or check back for future dates hosted by the KBWQA.

Enrollment Deadline: The deadline to join directly to the KBWQA ended on August 6, 2014. Growers/landowners will now need to provide a Notice of Intent (NOI) directly to the Regional Water Quality Control Board, pay applicable administrative fees, complete a KBWQA membership application, and will be subject to higher fees per acre. For more instructions, please visit the Join the Association page.

Upcoming Due Dates

Report/Item Due Due Date
2020 Membership Invoice Payment Friday, January 24, 2020
Farm Evaluation (high vulnerability - all sizes) March 1, 2021 Not due in 2020.
Farm Evaluation (low vulnerability - large and small farms) March 1, 2021 Not due in 2020.
Nitrogen Management Plan Summary Report for 2019 crop year (high vulnerability - all sizes) March 1, 2020 (Complete on ILRP Farm)
NEW: Irrigation & Nitrogen Management Plan (NMP) Worksheet (high vulnerability - all sizes) March 1, 2020 (must be certified) (Keep on farm)
NEW: Irriation & Nitrogen Management Plan Worksheet (low vulnerability - all sizes) March 1, 2020 (no certification required) (Keep on farm)
Corn Field